Thursday 3 October 2013

Calligraphy Classes

Me in action!
I have started calligraphy classes with Sarah, another ALT here in Kudamatsu. We are in the beginner class taught by perhaps the kindest and sweetest woman I have ever met. She teaches the beginner class and often teaches elementary school children. It's no surprise either, since her warm personality really lends itself to educating kids.

In the picture to your left, I am trying to write the kanji symbol for atmosphere, or air. It usually makes the sound "ki". You'll often see it in the word "元気" which sounds like "genki". It means healthy or well.
Me with Sarah, our beautiful works of art are displayed behind us. 

 Like I mentioned earlier, I took the class with Sarah, who by any  objective analysis is far, far better at writing kanji than me. Her kanji looked better even though the instructor was literally holding my hand.

The important thing is that I had a blast and I am really looking forward to taking more classes. This is also a great way to learn Kanji, which is a must in Japan.


No comments:

Post a Comment