Saturday 25 January 2014

Doughnuts, I've got doughnuts!

Doughnuts in Japan!


This guy was so cute I felt guilty eating him.


       So, this is a really quick update about Japan, and I want to discuss the doughnut culture in this country. Believe it or not, Japan has a thriving doughnut culture. I'm not talking about anything like we have in Canada, because quite frankly the doughnuts you can find out here are in my humble opinion far superior.

 Kudamatsu's local Mr. Donut

Let's start with Japan's answer to Tim Hortons or Dunkin' Donuts, Mr. Donut. Mr.Donut can be found in pretty much any city in Japan. Even smaller cities enjoy the delicious doughnuts and coffee they bring. They offer a lot of traditional Japanese foods to go along with the doughnuts, such as ramen.


A Woodstock doughnut!
The doughnuts at Mr. Donut can be disgusting cute. This is one of the two Peanuts themed doughnuts. Not pictured is the Snoopy doughnut. I was in a lemony mood that day though.


A fine doughnut for Christmas!

Here, we have a special doughnut just for Christmas. These is a two-tiered doughnut. The top layer has cream filling in memory serves with the lower tier is a normal doughnut. This seems like the perfect alternative to a traditional wedding cake if you ask me. These picture will be kept in my files for that very purpose. 



Now, I don't have many pictures aside from the one I have above, but there are many artisan doughnut shops in Japan which is something we really don't have much of in Canada. I regret not taking a picture of it, but in the mall that is close to my house there is an awesome little artisan doughnut shop that uses only organic ingredients. The picture above shows the cute doughnut I bought at a little doughnut shop at the Nishiki Market in Kyoto. It was as delicious as it was cute. 

All right folks, that's it for today. The next post will be about my trip to Kyoto and Osaka. I don't want to make it a boring slide show, so I'll try to focus on some of the more interesting photos are make it short. 





No comments:

Post a Comment